Berkey® Sight Glass spigot
Berkey® Sight Glass Spigots Installation & Cleaning Instructions
Recommended for use with the following Berkey® stainless steel systems: 7.5” Berkey® Sight Glass spigot — Travel Berkey®, Big Berkey®
10” Berkey® Sight Glass spigot – Royal Berkey®, Imperial Berkey®
13” Berkey® Sight Glass spigot – Crown Berkey®
Cleanliness is important. Wash hands and spigot with dish soap before proceeding to assure that contamination of the components does not take place during assembly. Rinse thoroughly.
Place one black rubber washer over the threads of spigot. Insert threaded stem of spigot through hole in the side of the lower chamber of your Berkey® system. Place other black rubber washer over threads and secure it in place with the spigot nut. Tighten securely by hand only. Hint: hold nut in place and gently turn spigot until tight then rotate spigot until handle and site glass is facing upward.
Note: On 13” Berkey® Site Glass spigot, it is recommended to install the sight glass plastic brace. To do so, unscrew metal top of site glass spigot, drop plastic brace onto site glass and screw metal top back on. Do not over-tighten. A small piece of Velcro is included with the 13” spigot. Please attach the larger piece to your Crown Berkey® water purification system and the smaller piece to the back of the sight glass brace. You should place the Velcro approximately 1 to 2 inches from the top of the sight glass spigot.
Proper cleaning and sanitizing of the faucet and sight glass are necessary to deliver fresh purified water. Berkey® Sight Glass spigots do not require tools for servicing, cleaning and sanitizing. Simplified construction means fewer parts to wear out or replace.
1. Empty the upper and lower chamber of your Berkey® system. Carefully remove the spigot from the lower chamber of your system by unscrewing the wing nut inside the lower chamber. On the 13” sight glass spigot, also carefully separate the Velcro strip on the sight glass brace. Breaking the slight glass through mishandling is not covered under your warranty.
2. Carefully unscrew the sight glass from the spigot. When doing so, hold the glass as well as the metal shroud, to make sure the sight glass does not slip out and break. Between the sight glass assembly and the spigot is a small rubber washer, do not lose this when taking the spigot apart. Set these components aside.
3. Unscrew the lever from the spigot body. The rubber seat cup (opaque in color) inside the lever can also be removed, if desired. Gently pull the two pieces apart.
4. Wash hands fully before proceeding. Clean all parts, including faucet body, in hot soapy water. If sanitizing is desired, you may use a mild solution of chlorine (50 PPM) or iodine (14ppm), before rinsing. Rinse thoroughly with clear hot water. We do NOT recommend washing any of the Berkey® Sight Glass spigots in a dishwasher.
5. To reassemble, simply reverse the order of the cleaning instructions above then repeat the installation instructions.
Special Notes on Cleaning:
A small nylon or other soft material cleaning brush is recommended for cleaning the glass tube. Again, please handle the glass tube with care. Replacement tubes are not currently available.
When you are reassembling the sight glass spigot to the body of the spigot, make sure that that you include the small rubber washer. The easiest way to do this is to insert the glass tube, turn the sight glass assembly upside down, place the rubber washer on top of the sight glass; it should sit inside the metal in the metal protection shroud. With your other hand, turn the spigot body upside down and thread it onto the screw at the base of the sight glass assembly. Do not over-tighten.
To assemble the rubber seat cup to the handle assembly, simply push the two components together until the seat cup snaps into place on the handle assembly.
If using the 13” sight glass spigot, don’t forget to attach the optional Velcro strip on the brace, to the Velcro strip on your Crown Berkey®. Berkey Sight Glass Spigot Assembly-Cleaning Instructions – 5-10